What is the best way to care for a flowering orchid?
- Place the orchid in a sunny place, but not in direct sunlight. Place the orchid in a room temperature.
- Keep the orchid well moist. Therefore, water the plant at least once a week in summer and winter. Make sure that the roots of the plant do not remain in the water. Therefore, preferably remove the residual water from the pot after watering.
- From April to October you can give the plant some plant food once every 2 weeks in order to achieve optimum growth and flowering.
What can you do if the plant has finished flowering?
- When the plant has finished flowering, you can cut off the branch with finished flowers. Do this just above the earth.
- With a good treatment, the plant will make new shoots, from which new branches will come. This treatment is the same as with a flowering orchid.
- It differs per species when flowers come back into the plant. This way a Zygopetalem can flower 3 times a year. An Oncidium will flower again after 9-12 months.
You get a Zygopetalum in your house to be surprised several times when the orchid starts flowering again.